Welcome to Partners in Living, a self-study course created to help people with developmental disabilities, their family and friends explore four important elements that, together, create a meaningful life: Self-Determination, Family Supports, Community Living and Assistive Technology.
Every person has the right to a full, meaningful life. The definition of a “meaningful life” isn’t the same for every person. What is meaningful to you may not be as important to someone else.
In this course, you will learn:
- About important milestones in the history of people with developmental disabilities, including critical legislation.
- About self-determination and the importance of personal choice, person-centered planning and futures planning.
- About Family Supports and how they have changed over the years.
- How people with developmental disabilities live independently and interdependently in their communities.
- How assistive technology is changing the way people with developmental disabilities live, work and enjoy life in the community.