Schools are places where children learn new information and skills and are exposed to important life lessons, like accepting and respecting themselves and others, personal responsibility and the importance of contributing to the community. It is also a place gain the skills and experiences that will prepare them to work at meaningful jobs in the future. After completing this course, you will:
- Understand how children with developmental disabilities have been educated over time.
- Understand the difference between general education, special education and inclusive education.
- Know and understand the key laws governing special education in the United States.
- Learn your role in your child’s education.
- Understand the elements of an Individualized Education Program and what to do if things aren’t working as expected.
- Learn to advocate for an appropriate, inclusive education for your child.