Welcome to Partners in Employment, a self-study course designed to help people with developmental disabilities find meaningful jobs and jumpstart their careers.
Since 1987, Partners in Policymaking® participants have strived to create a new employment culture – one in which willing workers are welcomed and embraced by satisfied employers and a supportive public. Hundreds of individuals with developmental disabilities and their family members have learned new, exciting ways to open the world of work to everyone.
This course has been created to give you the practical skills you need to find real, competitive employment in your community. Throughout the site, you’ll learn how other people with disabilities have overcome common obstacles to find jobs and succeed in the workplace.
After completing this course, you will:
- Understand the hiring process and how it might differ for people with developmental disabilities;
- Understand supported and competitive employment;
- Identify a “personal network” who can help you achieve your dream;
- Know your strengths, skills and interests and how they might translate into a career;
- Understand how technology skills can help people with disabilities find meaningful employment;
- Understand natural supports and how they might help you succeed;
- Create a resume or portfolio that presents you and your abilities in the best light;
- Know how to network and identify potential employers;
- Be prepared for a successful job interview;
- Know how to evaluate a job offer to make sure it fits your skills and dreams!
Ready to begin? TAKE THE COURSE and you’ll be on your way to meaningful employment!